Monday, April 14, 2008

Hunger

Okay, sorry, I've had this on the editting block since........I'm not sure when. But I never finished it. So now I will.

Mwahahahahahaha pink dots. Sorry, I really liked this template, but when I noticed at least two other people had it...it had to go.

I ran straight from class to class to the Ave to a hair salon to Haggett to the bus stop, never eating. Elizabeth, Mary Grace and I walked from the bus to the theater together. We took a wrong turn, and I bought one of those five-dollar footlong sandwiches. I considered it pretty good luck; I was starving. While looking at a Seattle Center map, we were ambushed by a really stubborn homelessman. Upon being told we were going to the ballet, he knew Midsummer Night's Dream was playing, and asked if we knew who the choreographer was. He started quoting Shakespeare, and had an in depth discussion with Mary Grace about their respective favorite classical composers. I felt...rather uncultured. Once we were close to the theater, he felt he'd established a rapport, and asked for his money. I don't know if MG was telling the truth or not, but she said she had no money on her. He said please, he was really hungry, and ended up with six inches of my chicken sandwich. I know he would have totally preferred money, but I doubt he threw it out.

Honestly, I think that affected me about as much as the ballet. Encounters with the homeless are always weird, but this one seemed particularly so. Besides, it's the first time in years I've actually given one something. Mary Grace showed him compassion and talked. I ignored his patter, but gave him my food.



This was where I left off...But as for the ballet...

I liked the first act.  I saw what Shanga meant by how they just expressed things with their entire bodies, particularly Puck. Sometimes they were over-playing it, but...it's ballet. It's not supposed to be realistic.

I thought the costumes were fantastic. Amazingly beautiful, though apparently they did not make the role of the characters clear...what others called sprites and butterflies, I somehow took as wild folliage plants and flowering plants. Maybe they were listed somewhere as sprites and butterflies; I've never actually read the play. Shrimp colored? I just thought they were a nice peachy-pink. I love silly and elaborate costumes, though. I desperately want to take a costuming class with the drama department next year...though I'm not sure if non-majors and poor sewers can take it. I loved the color-coding of the couples.

The second act I could have done without. I guess I'm just not into ballet. People talk about the grace, but all I see is women in positions I don't honestly believe the human body is meant to achieve. Some of those arabesques? I don't see how or why their back legs could or would be like that. It just looks awkward to me, and yet, all I hear is people cooing about the grace and beauty. When the women scooted across stage en pointe? I...just don't like that. It makes my legs and ankles hurt to watch. That motion...scares me. It looks alien, or insectlike.

1 comment:

mgtw said...

No, I had no cash; If I don't take the cash out of my purse when I go to McCaw Hall, I end up buying their cookies or the recording of whatever we just listened to.